Adventurer Club Awards
Originated in 2012
1. Memorize and explain two of the following listening Bible verses.
a. James 1:19
b. Jeremiah 29:11-12
c. Jeremiah 13:15
d. Proverbs 1:8
e. Isaiah 59:1
2. Tell one of the following listening Bible Stories.
a. Samuel listening – 1 Samuel 3
b. Jesus listening – Luke 2:41-49
3. Learn the following principles of listening:
a. Listen to God.
b. Always be ready to listen. “My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.” James 1:19
c. Be patient. Listening takes time, but the reward far exceeds the investment.
d. Be obedient. Listen and respond the first time instruction is given.
e. Be kind. Listening is a gift, so be the first one to lead out in listening. Be a listening role model.
f. Be respectful. Listen to others and let them finish their story before you talk.
g. Be attentive. Pay attention while others are speaking.
4. Make a craft that relates to listening.
5. Play a listening game.
To teach the importance of listening to God and others.
1. Or find other listening verses.
2. Encourage creativity (skits or pantomimes) as children learn listening habits. Be a listening role model. Teach listening lessons with songs and games.
3. Reward exemplary listeners.
4. For an example, use two tin cans and a string. A tin can telephone is a type of voice-transmitting device made up of two tin cans attached together on the closed end with a taut string or wire.
5. a. Telephone Game: Have everyone sit in a circle. The instructor will start a message by whispering it into the ear of the child to his/her left. The message will continue around the circle, from child to child, by whispering the message in the ear of the next child. (Be careful not to whisper loud enough for others to hear.)
When the message has gone around the whole circle, have the last child say the message out loud so everyone can hear. Discuss how the message has changed as it moved around the circle.
b. Simon Says Game
c. A game of your choice